Last fall we found that carpenter ants had invaded a Bachmann box in our storage building. We put out baits that should have killed them, but this spring the ants were still vigorously there. So we moved the box to our patio, to eliminate the “hill” and rescue the model trains. Here is the box, with ants on the outside, and after slicing the shipping box open:

Them-1 Them-2Them-3

After stripping away the boxes, the ants’ “hill” was revealed. Inside the foam enclosing the Bachmann train set.


We used a vacuum to reduce the number of ants.


The foam was so thin after ant-excavation that the vacuum tore it apart.


Then, the remaining box went into a trash bag, and several days later to the dump.

Comments are closed.